President & Chief Operating Officer
Matthew Dent, President and Chief Operating Officer of the Buffalo Rock Company, is responsible for the company’s overall operations, including 10 divisions servicing Alabama, western Georgia and the panhandle of Florida.
Matthew began his career with Buffalo Rock serving as an intern during his junior year at the University of Alabama, where he subsequently received his degree in Marketing from the Culverhouse College of Commerce. That proposed 3-month internship developed into a 2-year part-time position where Matthew garnered experience in warehouse operations, store level execution and sales, budgeting and planning, and direct support to the Tuscaloosa General Manager. Prior to his graduation in 1997, Matthew was hired full-time working directly with the Company’s Senior Leadership where he coordinated improvement projects and realigned operations, eventually being named Corporate General Manager of Marketing & Strategy. In 2005, as Vice President of Corporate Development, Marketing & Strategy, he assumed broader responsibilities, including the overall management of the 12 operating divisions and becoming directly involved with the executive management of his fellow officers. In 2008, Matthew was named Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer and then named President/Chief Operating Officer January 1, 2011.
Matthew has served and is currently serving with a number of organizations locally and nationally:
- American Beverage Association (Washington, DC) – current member of the Board of Directors; 2010 and 2008 Advisory Committee Chairman; 2006 InterBev Advisory Committee member; Board of Directors nominating committee member (September 2004)
- Pepsi Cola Bottlers’ Association – current Board of Directors member, past ADMINCOM (Administrative Committee) committee member, past MARCOM (Marketing Committee) committee member
- Alabama Beverage Association (Montgomery, Alabama) – current Executive Committee and Board of Directors
- Dr Pepper Bottler Marketing Committee member – current since 2005
- Shoal Creek Golf Club – Board of Governors member (Currently Serving, and 2004-2006)
- Mattie C. Stewart Foundation – current Board Member & Treasurer
- United Way of Central Alabama – current Board Member
- The Regions Tradition at Shoal Creek Golf Club (benefiting Children’s Hospital) – 2013 General Chairman, 2012 Co-Chair, 2011 Vice Chair
Among other accomplishments, Matthew was named finalist in Birmingham’s 2012 Top CEO Awards, as well as, 2007 Top 40 under 40 by the Birmingham Business Journal.
Matthew enjoys spending time with his wife and their two young children. They reside in Birmingham, are active members at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church and enjoy traveling together, boating and water sports, playing golf, and being personally involved in their friends’ and families’ lives.